Monday 26 November 2012

The bag dispenser I always wanted

I'm digging out some old photos of a great crafty project. It took me about an hour with the sewing machine, and I love it. It works a treat in our kitchen!






When we moved in 6 months ago, we had plastic carrier bags EVERYWHERE. I wanted a functional but crafty bag dispenser to go in my kitchen, so those plastic bags would not go exploring the insides of my cupboards! 

I went on a hunt for a simple, cheap pattern to make a fabric bag dispenser. Ta Da! I found this lovely design

Off I went, searching through my fabric bits and bobs. This big square of bright green fabric is a thrifted piece - I don't really buy new fabric unless it's on double discount!




I love the brightness of it, and the flowers. The pattern said to cut a 6" x 42" strip of fabric. My piece just happened to be 42" wide. I cut a 7" strip to make it a little wider. 



Then I followed the pattern, sewed up both sides, and added a tunnel for the ribbon to go in. 



I get these bits of ribbon from the fat quarter packs I buy sometimes, and I always save them. Perfect little hanging loop for the bag dispenser. 

First of all, I started out with a cardboard tube for my plastic bags, an idea I found on Pinterest. It didn't work so well. I'll show you a comparison!



The first one I had was just difficult to use, and difficult to refill. Not ideal at all. The new one, however, is brilliant! It goes well with the colours in the kitchen, and matches my tea towels EXACTLY!

I have bright yellow colour pops in mind for my kitchen, but I might wait til we move again to really decide. 


What do you think of my not so new bag dispenser?







4 comments:

  1. Love it! And looks so easy to make, I have a hoard of plastic bags that I think will be getting a new home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is so easy to make. Go for it!!

      :)

      Delete
  2. I think it's gorgeous! This is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mopsa! It works so well. My boyfriend even likes it! that's saying something! :)

      Delete

Come and visit this blog at its new home www.beautiful-again.com. I've closed comments on this blog due to the spammy emails I get.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.