Monday 3 September 2012

September challenge: decluttering one area per day

Sometimes, projects and ideas just don't work out. The best thing to do in those cases is to come up with new ideas, or refine the old ones. Last month, I started a project called 30 things in 30 days. I was attempting to find a way to continue with decluttering over a longer period of time, instead of taking the tasks in bursts and getting bored too quickly.

But, it didn't work because I wasn't motivated to do it. And that's ok. I found another similar approach, which involves writing a list of 30 areas that need decluttering, and tackling one area per day (read more here) It appeals to me more because the areas are distinct, and at the end of each day, I have organised/decluttered a specific area in my home. Result!

Each morning, I generate a random number, and then choose the item corresponding to that number from the list. I take before and after pictures of the area, and take pictures of everything that I'm committing to get rid of. At the end of the month I hope to have a collage of photos of all the things that have left the flat.

So far, it's working! 

Here is my list of 30 areas:

1. Bathroom shelf (we keep toothbrushes, mouthwash, floss etc. on here)
2. Bathroom cabinet (extra shampoos, shower gels, lotions)
3. Cupboard under the kitchen sink
4. Food cupboard (we only have 1 to store all dry goods/groceries)
5. Cereal and tea shelf
6. Cutlery drawer
7. Kitchen counter (main counter)
8. Kitchen counter by window (lots of random things end up here)
9. Beauty products (lotions, medications, hair products etc.)
10. Floor of the wardrobe
11. On top of the wardrobe 
12. Pyjamas
13. Sides of the wardrobe (can you tell things are crammed into every crevice in my flat??)
14. Suitcase full of clothes (that I boxed up when I started Project 333)
15. Crate of clothes (also boxed up due to Project 333)
16. Linen cupboard (also where we keep lounge wear, hoodies etc.)
17. Bedside table
18. Winter clothes box
19. Hallway - small storage cubbies
20. Hallway - Top 3 large shelves 
21. Hallway - Bottom 3 large shelves
22. Books in the living room
23. Paperwork
24. Dropzone (where we dump our stuff when we come in the house)
25. Sewing box
26. Sentimental/keepsakes box (yikes! I'm most scared of this one)
27. Junk corner (random things accumulate here)
28. Junk bag in the study (leftover from previous organising)
29. Craft shelves in the study
30. Box of DVD's and books 

Sheesh that felt long! I can also think of more areas that I want to add to the list! Some areas are easier than others, but I think it's important to have some easy ones on the list too, so as not to get overwhelmed by the difficulty. 

My aim is for this challenge to help me create a simpler, frustration free life. 

Anyone want to join me?


2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I can commit to a list of 30 things, but I love your idea and I am with you in spirit if not in actually decluttering! I love your idea of tackling one small job each day - definitely easier to break it down like this. I look forward to seeing your collage! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! it's working so far. it helps to do a little bit each day (even if I feel like doing more in a day) because then I can maintain it for the month. I also get the surprise of which area I tackle each day :)

      You could decide on fewer areas, if there are areas in your house that you feel are too cluttered - and do one every 3 days, or just every week perhaps. small steps work well! :)

      Delete

Come and visit this blog at its new home www.beautiful-again.com. I've closed comments on this blog due to the spammy emails I get.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.